danae

danae

The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater I just finished this. I like the plot alright. I really like Sean and George and Puck (in that order) and the relationship between Sean and Puck, and Sean and George (in that order). Sometimes i liked the writing, but more often i thought it was confusing. I don't think i like how it ended. It didn't seem right to me, but i don't want to spoil it, so i won't say any more. Mostly, i'm angry with Maggie Stiefvater because she can't make up her mind on how to pronounce "capaill uisce". I'm reading the book and i keep coming across this phrase and i don't know how to pronounce it, but i'm patient, so i keep reading. And i keep reading. And i keep reading. And i keep reading. (Surely, she's going to enlighten me any page now...) Finally, i ask Forvo how the heck to pronounce this phrase because, up 'til this point, i'd been pronouncing it my own way (which was wrong). And then i reach page 83 and she finally tells us that it's pronounced "copple ooshka". Page eighty-three, though? Really? It'd be better for her to not tell readers how to pronounce it at all if she's going to wait that long to tell us. By page 83, i imagine most readers will have already chosen their own way to pronounce it. So, i was ticked off with her about that and then i read some of the extra stuff in the back. On page 406, she tells us it's pronounced "CAPple ISHka" which is definitely different than "copple ooshka". Then, on page 418, she writes "As Sean tells George Holly, 'copple ishka'". No, Maggie, Sean told George "copple OOshka". Make up your mind. (And, technically, Sean didn't "tell" George that; that's just how we're told that George pronounced it.) Also, she waited a heck of a long time to tell us in what way "fate hasn't given [Puck] much of a choice". For quite a while, i didn't understand what on Earth Puck expected to gain from joining this race. She did eventually reveal that (on page 105 and later, when she gained another reason), but i had a hard time connecting with her or rooting for her because i didn't understand why she would risk her life the way she did. Okay, my rant's over now. Basically, the characters were what i liked most about "The Scorpio Races" and Maggie Stiefvater is what i liked least. Haha. *Review written on July 11, 2014.*