danae

danae

"Happily Ever After" by Kiera Cass

Happily Ever After: Companion to the Selection Series - Kiera Cass

I liked this collection of short stories, but I was kind of underwhelmed. There's a lot of repetition (i.e. a scene that we've already read in the series, but from a different character's perspective, so the dialogue is the same, though the thoughts are different.) It was interesting and gave some more insight into the characters, and I did really enjoy the illustrations, but I'm not as eager to own this one as I am the rest of the series.

Unfortunately, I can't rate each individual story because it's been too long since I read it, but I remember that I preferred the stories about the more minor characters to the stories about Maxon and Aspen (because of the aforementioned repetition). I liked learning more about Amberly, Celeste, and America's maids.

On the other hand, I want to know more about Clarkson after reading Amberly's story. He was decent and relatively charming in Happily Ever After. It's so hard to imagine him turning into the man in The Selection, who cheats on his wife and beats his son.

(show spoiler)